My research focuses on organisational space, the material world of work and identity. I have an expertise in qualitative research methods including innovative visual methodologies, specifically, participant-led photography. I have led research and consultancy projects with the Environment Agency, Bristol, the NHS North Bristol Trust, The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, London and a wide variety of Hair and Beauty Salons across the UK. My research has been published in journals including Human Relations, Management Learning and the International Journal of Work, Organisation and Emotion. My paper ‘Liminality, space and the importance of ‘transitory dwelling places’ won Paper of the Year 2015 in Human Relations.
- Shortt, H. (2015) ‘Liminality, space and the importance of ‘transitory dwelling places’ at work’ Human Relations, 68 (4) 633–658 (ABS: 4*). Awarded ‘Human Relations Paper of the Year 2015’
- Shortt, H. (forthcoming) ‘Cake and the Open Plan Office: a foodscape of work through a Lefebvrian lens’ in Lefebvre in Organisation Studies Eds. Kingma, S Dale, K. and Wasserman, V.
- Rippin, A., Shortt, H. and Warren, S. (2016) ‘Dress and the female professional: A case study of Working Woman magazine’ in Volume V: Gender, Media, and Organization: Challenging Mis(s)Representations of Women Leaders and Managers in the ILA CEWomen and Leadershio Book Series, Eds. Elliott, C. Mavin, S., Stead, V., and Williams, J. IAP: Charlotte NC
- Ward, J. and Shortt, H. (2016) ‘Drawing in Buiness and Management Research’ in The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Business and Management Research Methods, Eds. Cassell, C. Cunliffe, A. and Grandy, G.
- Shortt, H. (2013) ‘Sounds of the Salon – the auditory routines of hairdressers’ at work’ International Journal of Work, Organisation and Emotion, 5 (4) 342 – 356
- Shortt, H., Betts, J. and Warren, S. (2013) ‘Visualizing organizational life through objects’ in The Routledge Companion to Visual Organization, Eds. Bell, E., Warren, S. and Schroeder, J.
- Ward, J. and Shortt, H. (2013) ‘Projective Drawing as a Method of Evaluation’ Special Virtual Issue – Emotion in Management Learning, Management Learning (ABS: 3*)
- Ward, J. and Shortt, H. (2013) ‘Projective Drawing as a Method of Evaluation’ Management Learning, 44 (5) 435 – 452 (ABS: 3*)
- Shortt, H. and Warren, S. (2012) ‘Fringe benefits – visual narratives: space and identity in an iconic profession’ Visual Studies 27 (1) 18 – 34
- Shortt, H. (2012) ‘Identityscapes of a Hair Salon’ Sociological Research Online 17(2)
- July 2013 – Shortt, H. ‘Hiding in the Corners of a Hair Salon – when liminal spaces become dwelling places’ presented at The 8th International Conference in Critical Management Studies, University of Manchester, 10th – 12th July 2013
- August 2012 – Ward, J., and Shortt, H. ‘Projective Drawing as a Method of Evaluation’ presented at The Academy of Management 2012, Boston, USA, 3rd – 7th August 2012
- July 2012 – Shortt, H. ‘Creative practices during periods of transition…or ‘stitching myself back together and sewing together my thesis’, presented at SCOS 2012: ‘Organising through displacement, travel and movement’, Barcelona, 11th – 14th July 2012
- May 2011 – Shortt, H., and Warren, S. ‘Visual Narratives of Organization: avoiding ‘analytical blindness’’ presented at the Imagining Business Conference 2011, Segovia, 19th – 20th May 2011
- July 2010 – Shortt, H. ‘Spaces in our peripheral vision – hiding in the corners of a hair salon’ presented at SCOS 2010: ‘Vision’, Lille, 7th – 10th July 2010
- October 2008 – Shortt, H. ‘From a Hairdressers’ View…’ presented at the inVisio Launch Event, ESRC Funded Seminar Series, Photographer’s Gallery, London, 14th October 2008
- September 2008 – Shortt, H. ‘The Hair Salon – space and identity in an iconic profession’ presented at the Fourth Art of Management and Organization Conference 2008, Visual Narratives Stream, Banff, Canada, September 2008
- November 2014 – Shortt, H. ‘Academic Quilting – The PhD Quilt’, invited presentation at the ESRC Thinking Futures Event, Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/fssl/festival/
- April 2013 – Shortt, H. ‘Hiding in the Corners of a Hair Salon’, invited presentation at the University of Bristol Staff Research Seminar Series, Bristol, 23rd April 2013.
- February 2012 – Shortt, H. ‘Creative practices during periods of transition…or ‘stitching myself back together and sewing together my thesis’, invited presentation at the University of York, Staff Seminar, 29th February 2012
- May 2011 – Shortt, H. ‘Battered corners and scuffed floors: the significance of insignificant social marks in the workplace’, invited presentation at the University of Essex, ‘Materiality’ Staff Seminar, 26th May 2011
- November 2010 – Shortt, H. ‘Notes from a Viva Survivor!’ invited presentation at the Postgraduate Seminar Series at the School of Management, University of Leicester, November 2010
- May 2009 – Shortt, H., and Warren, S. ‘Analysing visual narrative – space and identity in an iconic profession’, invited presentation at the University of Exeter, for the 5th InVisio Seminar Series ‘Visual Narratives and Interpretive Methods’, 29th May 2009
- April 2009 – Shortt, H. ‘The monkey and the hairspray – using visual methods to explore space and identity at work’, invited presentation at the University of Cardiff, Cardiff Business School, Marketing and Strategy Staff Research Seminar Series, 15th April 2009
- February 2009 – Shortt, H. ‘Hairdressers and their Work Space – using visual methods in research’ invited presentation at the University of Southampton, Department of Sociology and Social Policy, Staff Research Seminar Series, 12th February 2009
Workshops and Stream Convening:
- August 2017 – 12th Annual Ethnography Symposium, Manchester, UK: Stream Convening ‘Visual Ethnography’ – with Professor Samantha Warren (University of Cardiff), Professor Stephen Linstead (University of York), and Dr Garance Marachel (University of Liverpool).
- December 2015 – APROS/ EGOS 2015, Sydney, Australia: ‘Spaces, Constraints, Creativities: Organization and Disorganization’ – submitted stream proposal with Professor Peter Case, Professor Pauline Leonard and Dr Michal Izak on ‘The Liminality of Organizational Spaces’
- July 2014 – EGOS 2014, Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Post-Colloquium Workshop ‘Picturing Qualitative Date – a reflexive photography workshop’ – a hands-on workshop on using participant-led photographic interviewing in qualitative research projects, with Professor Samantha Warren http://www.egosnet.org/2014_rotterdam/post-colloquium_workshop_picturing_qualitative_data
- July 2014 – SCOS 2014, Utrecht, The Netherlands. Conference Theme: Sport, Play and Game. ‘Playing the Academic Game’ – a doctoral workshop exploring the games and politics of academic life, with Dr Ilaria Bonccori
- November 2012 – Co-organiser of the InVisio workshop sponsored by the ESRC and the Essex Centre for Work, Organization and Society, University of Essex, November 2012, as part of a research project with inVisio ‘Advancing Visual Methodologies in Business and Management’ – an ESRC RDI Project. Ended December 2012
- September 2012 – Postcards – a methodological, making workshop, conference workshop with Dr Ann Rippin at the 6th Art of Management Conference: Creativity and Critique, University of York, 4th – 7th September 2012
- September 2011 – Postcards from Ethical Practice, an ESRC RDI/ InVisio conference workshop with Professor S. Warren at the 2nd International Visual Methods Conference at the Open University, 13th – 15th September 2011